St Martin’s Bookshop
St Martin’s Bookshop is a charity bookshop staffed by volunteers in Bournemouth, England.
St Martin’s Trust is an ecumenical charity, founded in 1997 by a group of Christians who wanted to work together for the good of the local community. The funds raised from book sales are used to support local and other good causes including Michael House (a Bournemouth charity for the homeless) From the very beginning, St. Martin’s has been much more than a bookshop. It has been a place of meeting, of sharing and offering ‘tea and sympathy: it offers what has been described as a ‘ministry of the listening ear.’ Several of our friends suffer from dementia or are recovering from strokes; some of our volunteers have mental health and physical problems and they benefit from the companionship and encouragement that St. Martin’s offers through membership of our ‘St. Martin’s Friendship Club’.
Brief History of the Trust
The trust is named after St Martin of Porres (1569 – 1639), a black Peruvian saint who nursed the sick and “became a friend to all the poor of Lima, especially the African slaves and including stray cats and dogs.” He was beatified in 1837 and canonized in 1962.
He is the Patron Saint of nurses and care assistants.
Founding trustees: the late Tony Harrington MBE, Roger Booth LLB PhD, Revd. David Ayton.
Trustees: Mrs Lynnette King, Mrs Ann Walsh, Haley Perry, Christopher Williams & Dave Woodbury.
Charity Commission No: 1065584
Thanks to Chris Williams & Mark Phillips for the photographs.